Saturday, May 2, 2009

Day 28

I'm getting used to my new job: the heated mattress. It brings me great joy for Peyton to find comfort and rest in the arms of her dad. Now if only his arms were up to the task as often as she'd like.

After our first night without crying (what an enormous blessing!), we had a little scare today. A low-grade fever and vomiting warranted a call to the cardiologist. He said to watch closely. If her fever climbs over 100.5, then get him back on the phone. So we wait and watch.

FYI: ear thermometers are not accurate when it comes to newborns. Another lesson we missed in the instruction books.

Of late, I've had a number of conversations with folks about the future of this blog. While my original intent in writing was to communicate more efficiently the goings on with Peyton in order that friends and family could pray more specifically for her as well as for Rayna and me. What actually happened turned out way more cool.

First, our friends and family shared the blog with their friends, churches, and prayer circles. I can't give an actual number of people praying, but Rayna and I heard from people around the US and the globe expressing prayers. For that I am eternally grateful, and I look forward to the day in heaven where we'll finally see just how many were praying and thank each of you in person. For now, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

Second, I found an outlet to take all these blitzing thoughts and raging emotions out of my head and process them aloud so to speak. To take a step back from the storm, see what God was about, and realign my perspective to His...invaluable to persevering.

Lastly, several folks have shared that God has used my reflections, sharing, and the comments of so many to encourage and challenge them. Totally unintentional, but way cool that God would use this turmoil to reshape how people relate to and understand God as well as life and parenting.

So what should this blog be about moving forward? My thinking right now is that this particular blog should stay focused on Peyton's medical journey. That's why so many have email subscriptions and others check back here quite regularly. I'll continue to post pictures and updates from time to time about Peyton and her follow-up appointments so that you can see the fruit of your prayers. But, I think this is likely that last extended post barring another catastrophe.

As for having a place to process what God is doing in and around me, well, I'm still looking for a solution. Rayna's advocated that I continue to write somewhere somehow. One option may be another blog to digest life, parenting, relationships, and the journey God has me on. Pray for discernment and insight in determining direction.

A side note: while composing this post, Rayna paused feeding Peyton for a burp session. When she finished, she asked Peyton if she wanted her daddy. Looking at me, Peyton responded by flinging her arms wide out as if to say, "Pick me up, Daddy!"



6 comments:

  1. And I said to myself what a wonderful world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the close medium and far array of photos. Somebody's gettin' good with that camera!

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad to see that Hanschen firey red hair is still going strong :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. such an angel......
    you gotta love that red hair...oh my goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, the temporal forehead scan thermometer was the best $40 we ever spent! Before kids I thought, "Who'd waste $40 on a stinkin THERMOMETER?!!!" After fussy, wiggly, sicky, squirmy babies who don't want something stuck in their ears or under their armpits, I think, "How can I live without it?!!"

    ReplyDelete