Saturday, April 11, 2009

Blog vs Email Updates

I was in a hurry when I emailed folks about converting to a blog, so there may have been some confusion and a possible email glitch. Let me try to clarify.

Emailing updates worked great to a point. I got to a place where I had to spend more time on managing the email list than reflecting and sharing our journey. It’s a great problem to have because that means so many folks are praying, but on the advice of and with help from several techno-savvy friends, I decided to use the blog as means of communicating updates instead of emails.

The upside to this plan is that nobody has to worry about retyping what I send out so that they can send it to friends. Everyone can just pass along this blog link to their prayer circles, small groups, friends, and family. It also allows there to be one place with the most current and accurate information.

I expect to post here once a day, typically late in the evening like when I used to send out the prayer updates. I’ll also post photos here from time to time. This blog has a link that can notify folks via email every morning if I’ve updated the blog.

A down side to the blog that I didn’t see coming was the sudden halt to encouraging emails and notes that we’d get after sending out an email update. Those notes were so meaningful to us in part because of the words and thoughts conveyed, but also because it helped us know that we were not alone, that we were not sharing our thoughts, struggles, and joys with an empty vacuum, but rather to a vast network of people who care about and love on us.

While the blog may feel less personal, believe me I pour just as much vulnerability and authenticity into it as I did those emails. However, it feels like sharing with a black hole at times.

One of the neat things about this blog is that you have the opportunity to share in the journey. At the bottom of my posts, there’s a link to add comments. A couple of folks have left notes of encouragement there, which is awesome and really appreciated! And because everyone can see the notes, I suspect that they will indirectly encourage the rest of y’all reading and praying. Feel free to also post about your experiences or stories there too about how God is working in you through this.

Like I said in one of the previous updates, this whole ordeal is about God working in each of us, teaching us to trust him, to depend on him, to communicate well in the midst of intense emotion, to engage fear and anxiety, to process anger and despair. Whatever may come with Peyton, good or bad, our God is still the sovereign. He reigns over all, and that we cannot forget while we walk this road.

8 comments:

  1. Praying for your precious Peyton!!
    Christy

    http://safe-haven-blog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Wayne here. (peyton's Grandad) Being here in TX is providing me with a plethera of benefits.
    1. It is providing me much needed greif therapy
    since Sharon left to live with the Lord.

    2. I am finding renewed faith through association with Karl,Rayna and their many Christian freinds.

    3. I sense purpose in my life that I had lost so completely on February 8th 1909 @ 2pm.......

    I am grateful to family back in Worcester who are taking up the slack in that arena, Adam,Eva,Grama and Beth who has basicly moved in to be a big helper.

    To those up north it's ok to be jelous yeah the weather is fine.

    Love to all Wayne

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are such an encouragement to us! Your faith and endurance through trials convicts and encourages me to trust God more and lay my anxieties before His throne. Thanks for being so vulnerable and letting us go through this with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi dear friends and family;

    we are indeed jealous - it's raining cold rain from a dark sky...but it is always darkest before the dawn. Just the same in this situation. God's presence is so obvious in this time and in this place. My church, friends locally and internationally are praying for Peyton, Karl and Rayna and the extended family. We are grateful for you and for all that will be happening through this enture situation. It's good to know that God's thought are always on us, and especially with his precious little ones.
    Hugs from Barbara and Miss Hope

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found your blog - I'll be praying for your sweet Peyton and all of you!
    ~Erika in NH

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karl and Rayna,

    We are praying for you and beautiful little Peyton! I asked my mom's church in Mississippi to add her to their prayer chain also. They are a great bunch of prayer warriors. Please know that we love you and are standing with you before our Father.

    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  7. John & I are praying for all of you. We appreciate your perspective on God's sovereign control and of his love for you all. Romans 15:13. Love, Aunt Linda and Uncle John

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I am thinking of your family and wishing you all well. HUG!!
    Marcie Ray

    ReplyDelete