Friday, April 10, 2009

Day 6

Ya know, mercy comes in strange sizes and shapes. We went home last night, got a full night's sleep, took care of things around the house, and then headed to the hospital, seemingly refreshed.

The first thing we found out was that Peyton had stopped breathing at one point in the morning. Evidently the doctors had extubated her at some point in the morning. She was fine on her own for an hour, and then suddenly stopped. They quickly worked to get her breathing again and ended up intubating her again.

Had I been there, I'm sure I would have hit the ceiling after the turmoil of yesterday. Hearing about it after the fact, well, there was immediate relief that I didn't have to endure that first hand; however, now, there's more sadness. Silly us, we were hoping to hold her today for the first time since catheterization.

To make today even harder, I had to stop touching Peyton. My touch calms her down, and what we need is for her to get mad about the breathing tube so that she's got enough fight to take control of her breathing again. Then we can extubate her. So I read to her instead, but on hindsight, that may have had the same impact as touching her. Hrumph!

She's still on the blood thinners. They've added two medicine to the drip. One will make her urinate more often to reduce extra fluids in the blood, helping the heart pump more of what's important. The other, to help the heart pump more effectively. (It's late, so I recall the exact drug names.) They did an ultrasound of her brain looking for bleeding because of the thinners, and we hadn't heard the official results yet, but the attending was optimistic since the technician didn't run and get him right away.

Once they extubate Peyton, the plan is to stop the IV feeding and start a drip line in her stomach with actual momma milk.

The surgery is scheduled for Wednesday. I don't know what time yet, but I'll post an update when I do.

Rayna's body is having a tough go with the stress. Her milk production was half what it had been, and she's getting some strong abdominal cramps (evidently common for 1st time moms under stress).

I went to a Good Friday service tonight with Wayne (Rayna's dad) and the Parkers. It was good to go somewhere other than home and the hospital. It was great to be received by so many people loving on me and praying for my family. I held myself together until almost the end when exhaustion defeated the last of my emotional defenses. David Pemberton, my apologies to you, man, if I got your shirt dirty cause I lost it. I just sobbed for what felt like an eternity.

God, I need you more. Renew and strength me and Rayna. Refine our character that we may walk in your ways and look more like your Son to those watching.

10 comments:

  1. I love reading your stuff...
    Love Wayne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karl and Rayna ~

    I have been checking your posts several times a day to get an update on Peyton. It breaks my heart about what is going on and everytime I look at Kaitlyn, or Kaitlyn does something, I think of you guys. Everything will work out in the end. You and Rayna are strong people so you know that Petyon is a strong little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Addison just sent Peyton a get well soon card. We are praying for y'all!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to see you for a minute last night, Karl. Praying for little Peyton as well as her mommy & daddy...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sending us the blog, Karl. You three are getting prayers from Belgium. Love, Clay and Megan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karl and Rayna - how far from our journey in Zambia! I just received your email and have read through your whole blog. Peyton is a beautiful work of God and is an adorable baby.I'm praying for you and Rayna and encourage and support you as you already see that God is working all things for good no matter how hard your road is. Your words have inspired me and will inspire others. May your hearts be strengthened and encouraged and what a Blessing you are to your daughter that you have faith in a God that never leaves and never fails. Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rayna and Karl, I cannot even express how grateful I am that you have such a huge spiritual family to support and love you through this. Providing care to Rayna and Peyton these last few months has been a blessing. I know Peyton is a strong baby and that she will pull through to the other side of this, healed and loved. I also know that you two have an incredible relationship. Karl, you are one of the few men in my practice who comes to every appointment. It's a rare and beautiful thing to witness that type of love. You have so many people praying for your family, I can only add my prayers to all those already spoken. Know that I am thinking of you every day.

    Love, Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  8. Know that you are being prayed for and thought of often.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Best of everything for Wednesday...

    - Eva

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please know that I think of guys often in the day and will miss you tomorrow at choir. We believe in a sovereign God. None of this has taken Him by surprise. God has blessed Peyton with strong spiritual parents. Take peace, my dear friends and comfort in His loving Daddy arms. We will start praying for the procedure on Wednesday.
    Love to you,
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete