Saturday, April 11, 2009

Day 7 - Part 2

Rayna and I were driving home from the hospital tonight and heard a song on the radio that Rayna asked me to share with you. Ever have a song that moves you or brings you to tears every time you hear it? Well, this one grabs Rayna: Blessed Be Your Name, by Matt Redman. Here are the lyrics:

Blessed Be Your Name
In the land that is plentiful
Where Your streams of abundance flow
Blessed be Your name

Blessed Be Your name
When I'm found in the desert place
Though I walk through the wilderness
Blessed Be Your name

Every blessing You pour out
I'll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say

Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name

Blessed be Your name
When the sun's shining down on me
When the world's 'all as it should be
Blessed be Your name

Blessed be Your name
On the road marked with suffering
Though there's pain in the offering
Blessed be Your name

Every blessing You pour out
I'll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say

Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name

Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name

You give and take away
You give and take away
My heart will choose to say
Lord, blessed be Your name

The gist of the song is that come good times or bad, success or misfortune, joy or sorrow, whatever the circumstance, we praise God. We keep praising God. Like Job (Job 1:20), we are to honor Him regardless of what is happening around us.

What a tough example to follow! Praising God in the midst of immense pain, when there's nothing in your body that has any inkling of praise, that's the character of Job, and that's the character Rayna and I are striving for. Not someone who denies the pain, locks it away, ignores it, or stuffs it. That will only lead to mental and emotional turmoil and a long-term psychiatric expense. Rather to be the type that engages the pain fully by laying it at the feet of only one big enough to handle it and then see past it to the majesty, sovereignty, awesomeness, righteousness, and overflowing love of our King and risen Savior. That's who we want to be, and that's our hope for each of you as you pray for us and love on us.



4 comments:

  1. Karl, this is Michael Donegan, Rachel's dad. She sent me a pointer to your blog and I'm trying to cook for tomorrow and read at the same time. I'm so sorry you are having to go through this, but I'm glad that you have faith to see you through it and a community to help. We'll be praying for your family and your daughter who is so precious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Karl. Tiffany Sparks-Keeney here. Long time no chat. Know that you all are in my prayers. The above song was one of the two worship songs at my wedding. Little did I know how precious it would become as I've faced my own medical crisis the last several years. Makes college illness look like kindergarten. Learning to praise God as He takes away has been a constant battle the last two and a half years. I wish I could say it comes easier the more you do it, and for me sometime it has and sometimes I still fight my situation and it feels like the moments of total darkness still hit and are incredibly painful. I've found no way around them other to accept them and try and know that even with the smallest light the darkness will flee. Rely on your family and friends to hold the light up for you when your arms get too weary. I know those moments are a challenge to accept, but I've found that sometimes it's in those complete moments of darkness, when I give up my will to fight it and allow others to hold me up, that I see God the most clearly.
    I love reading your posts complete with the football metaphors. :) You sound like quite the proud papa and although Peyton is still in the hospital, I'm sure you've already thought about ways to intimidate the boys who will be chasing after her.
    I know you've got people walking you through this step by step and that is a blessing. Amazingly, I now work in a NICU. IT can be a really scary high stress environment. Itty bitty guys swing back and forth wildly in just moments. Parenting is a marathon in and of itself, but parenting a special needs kiddo is one of those high-speed super sonic ones you'll find at Fiesta Texas. I'm glad you took the time to go to Good Friday services. The bible has so many great references to running races, 1 Cor 9:24, 2 Tim 4:7, Heb 12:1, Phil 3:14. Just like life, with this kiddo God has put you in a marathon, not a sprint. Pause. Breathe. Cry. Get angry. Pray. Then start running again. You guys can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Karl & Rayna-- Just want you to know the International Christian Fellowship here in Almaty prayed for you all this Resurrection Sunday. We will be faithful to pray while you are (hopefully) sleeping... rest in His loving arms and care the way you want Peyton to be resting in yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karl and Rayna - you are amazing. Thanks for showing us how God works in amazing circumstances. Your faith is a great encouragement on this Easter Sunday.

    ReplyDelete