Monday, April 13, 2009

Day 9 - AM

God,

I need you. My wife needs you. My daughter needs you. You love Peyton more than I could ever fathom, so I entrust her to your hands. You have known her since before you knit her together in Rayna. She is your creation crafted in your image. You know and love her more intimately than I ever will.

Father, this breaks my heart. To see my daughter in such distress. To see waves of sadness crashing upon my wife. I pray that one day you would redeem all this, the pain and sorrow, the scars, the tears. Use them for your good, your glory, and your kingdom. Don't let me squander this opportunity for your work and your workmanship to be seen.

Guide the hands and lead the thoughts of Dr. Dewan. Give the nursing team and technicians a raised alertness. Send your Spirit to fill the operating room with peace and love for Peyton.

I ask, Lord, that you would heal Petyon, but if you choose to take Rayna and I down a different road, may you be glorified all the more. I choose to cling to you, and I know you are the good shepherd, providing shelter and rest in the storm. You know where you are going and the journey you want to lead me on, so please give me the courage to continue taking one step at a time.

Strengthen me so that I am not swayed by fear or anxiety. Comfort me through your Spirit and the community you have surrounding me. Draw near in my grief and sadness. Brace me for when I see her after surgery with stitches and an abundance of tubes sticking out her.

Yesterday, we celebrated that you conquered death, that you are alive, and that you will return. Thank you for being the everlasting God, the God who tabernacles among and now in his people, the Soverign King over all and yet right here with me. I am so grateful to have an immovable, eternal Rock because I can't do this on my own. I desperately need you.

In the name of the one before whom all creation will bow, the beloved and risen Son,

Amen.

19 comments:

  1. What a beautiful prayer. Know that though you may not know many of us, your family-especially Peyton-is in our deepest thoughts and prayers today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. Praying with you this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although we have never met I know of you and Peyton thru my daughter, Jamie Hatcher. Please know that you are all in my thoughts and prayers today and in the days to come.

    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are in my prayers with your beautiful baby. May God hold all of you in His arms.

    Mickie in OK

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are friends of Grant and Stephanie, I have actually met Rayna a handful of times - I just wanted you to know that we are praying for you, Rayna and your precious baby girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too will be praying continuously today for your family, the doctors and Peyton. God is so faithful and so amazing. You will see Him in this time of uncertainty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joining my prayers for Peyton & your family & the surgeon & every hospital personnel who comes into contact with your little girl. May God be glorified & may He do a mighty miracle for your baby today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. karl & rayna - just heard about the news from dan and maureen...sarah and i will be praying for peyton and the surgery today. congrats to you both on such a beautiful baby - may God keep you all safe in the coming days...

    - the taos

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just finished lifting Peyton up to the Lord as the surgical procedure should be starting about this time (1:15 pm EST). As Karl prayed, may the Lord equip the surgeon's hands and mind with His wisdom and guidance, and fill the operating room with His Presence. We will be praying throughout the afternoon hours. He Is Sovereign.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are praying for you all in Ohio.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Praying here in Austin for you as Peyton is in surgery right now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Praying for your family and the team working on Peyton.

    Katy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful prayer. Such eloquence through heart-wrenching emotion. We are praying with you right now as God gives us all strength, most especially Karl, Rayna, and your precious baby girl.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We are all praying with you and for you. Love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We agree with these wonderful prayers for Peyton, Karl and Rayna and we thank you God for blessing the Hanschens with a deep and unwavering faith, and for their trust in your eternal love for them. Father, cover this family, and their loved ones, with Your calming peace and make yourself known to them during every second of this very difficult trial. We also pray that You give Karl and Rayna the words and actions to comfort each other, and that Rayna’s recovery from giving birth is progressing normally.
    We thank you Father for this beautiful baby and ask for Peyton’s full recovery from this surgery, and that Karl and Rayna can enjoy this precious little girl for many years to come. Bless this faithful couple Father, and we pray that Your Name is glorified in every way, and that Payton’s life and her parents’ love for You brings many more souls to your everlasting kingdom.
    Thank you Father. We pray in the Name of Your precious Son, Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Friends of the Tomai's in Chicago, are praying for Peyton and your family. I know the trauma. My son was born prematurely 28 years ago. We were told his chance of survival were slim and if he survived, he would not have a normal life. Praise God that those were not Gods plans. Not only did He live but toady He is a wonderful, normal man of God. I know the pain and confusion that you and Rayna are feeling. You want to have faith, sometimes you doubt, sometime you say why? its okay. God knows your heart. We are human, praise Him for His mercy. Just cling to HIM. all over my Sons incubator I put the verse from Philippians 4:13 I can do everything through him who gives me strength. That is the verse the Lord gave me to keep my hubby and i focused on His strength, not ours. 1 Peter 1 is also an incredible chapter. Do not pretend to have it all together through this. The community of your believing family is who God uses to intercede for you when your strength is sapped. Let them help you. Admit your weakness through this and let them uplift you. We learned this the hard way. God has put us in the midst of wonderful men and women of God that we can depend on to uplift and care for you during this time. There are also brothers and sisters here in Chicago uplifting Peyton and you up to the throne of Grace.

    We look forward to what the out Lord will do in Jesus .

    ReplyDelete
  17. We haven't met, but I have been in prayer for you, Rayna and Peyton ever since I heard of Peyton's birth and subsequent health problems. I have been lifting you up continuously, moment by moment, in prayer today particularly. Faith can move mountains and remove all obstacles, if it is God's will. I am praying today that that is exactly the case, and that this surgery will be the healing that little Peyton needs.
    God bless you and your entire family.

    ReplyDelete