Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Day 2

Hey folks,

What does it look like to drive I-35 trying to sing along with a praise song while aggressively draining one’s tear ducts?

Well, I’m sure the sight scared the drivers around me on my first trip to the hospital today. The sadness hits in waves. No anger. No why me’s. Just sadness.

The news today…
1) Rayna is home and recovering.
2) Peyton’s EEG came back normal, so normal brainwaves and no signs of seizures.
3) Her MRI came back normal.
4) Blood tests showed that muscle had been cannibalized at some point when oxygen was short. However the residual markers are diminishing.
5) Peyton is staying on IV feeding just in case this heart thing gets worse quickly and blood gets diverted from the GI tract to the brain.
6) Her color is looking a bit yellow, so they’re going to run some tests and probably start a special light treatment.
7) No date set yet for the catheterization.
8) She was much, much more responsive to touch and sound today

Other tidbits acquired…
1) My brother-in-law tells me (via my mother) this defect of Peyton’s has only been documented 13 times in the last 15 years. Talk about rare. The doctor (I think) told us that this condition tends to be accompanied by other malformations of the heart, none of which the see in Peyton. Aside from the extra plumbing, Peyton’s heart looks great with everything else where it should be.
2) My sister-in-law tells me that her brief research on the eye movements we described found them often associated with heart defects. That could help make sense of why we’re not seeing any link to her brain.

Financially, a gal in St. David’s business office talk with Rayna and enrolled her and Peyton in Medicaid. She said this should cover all of Peyton’s expenses in, and possibly Rayna’s too. I’m not 100% confident in all this, but when I checked Rayna out, they didn’t ask for any money from me. Wohoo!

Ok, it’s really late. Rayna’s snoring. I’m exhausted. Thanks again for your prayers!

Karl

No comments:

Post a Comment