Friday, April 24, 2009

Day 20 - PM

Okay, yesterday afternoon...great. Last night, not so much.

Peyton napped on Daddy, napped with Mommy...then didn't sleep all night. Much like the transition from PICU to IMCU was a day full of over-stimulation and subsequent crankiness, so too was the transition home. Rayna did the 4am to 6:30 shift, and I took over and finally got her to sleep. Of course going back to sleep is not really an option when your stomach starts crying for food after the baby stops her crying.

All I want to do is quote Danny Glover..."I'm to old for this..." And yet I'm still on the starting blocks of this race. Bummer. Gonna need more grace.

Wayne and I finished hanging the new crown molding this morning, a project so rudely interrupted by Rayna's labor. Now Rayna can work her magic with caulk and paint and actually make it look good. But the headache of being up and down with a fussy baby throughout the night looms large.

Thankfully, Peyton slept most of the day today and didn't seemed bothered by a nail gun or miter saw.

PS: Rayna dressed her in a shirt today that says "Sleep is for the weak!"

4 comments:

  1. Karl and Rayna

    It will get better - trust me. Kaitlyn used to have her days and nights mixed up but eventually everything worked out. Then she went into a time when she only wanted to sleep on the couch, then in mommy and daddys bed. Actually it ended up being Kailtyn and Daddy's bed. Hang in there and enjoy having Peyton home. I already miss my little dependent infant. Now I have this crazy kiddo who is doing more and more things on her own.

    Jennie

    P.S. She is trying to help me with this at this moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Carl :)
    I remember the first night we brought Sophie home, she was screaming, I couldn't get her to nurse, every position I tried to hold her in she would start crying after a minute, and I just sat in the rocking chair in our bedroom and sobbed. It was horrible. I felt so powerless. This was the first time in my life that I had not been able to master a new skill once I encountered it.
    BUT the good news is, is that it did get better. My mantra became, "this too will pass". Soon little Peyton will smile her first smile, hold her head up, reach for you with her little hands, and say, "Dada." And THAT is when it all becomes worth it!
    It's hard with your first, because you're learning at the same time you baby is learning. Hang in there. I'm praying for you and Rayna.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My children are now grownups Rayna my first and Adam my second and last child. Both all grown up with spouses and concerns of their day. I cannot recall any of the sleepless nights any of the "are we doing the right thing stuff" I can only recall the love the pride the showing off bringing up my kids gave to us. Endure the grief your kids give you , react like you know what you know what you are doing and your children will learn to do the same. Enjoy every day of it because soon she will belong to another.....Like Rayna she belongs to God & Karl. But... Don't worry I'll keep sticking my nose into your business...I promise.

    Love Wayne

    ReplyDelete
  4. We always recall the first 3 months of both our girls' lives as a fog. Sleep is a luxury.

    ReplyDelete