Thursday, April 16, 2009

Day 12 - AM

The nurse, Lisa, removed the arterial line and stopped the trickle feed. The respiratory technician took the last breathing machine away, and Rayna got to hold Peyton for the first time in 9 days! And with some help from a lactation consultion, Peyton started direct breast feeding again. Talk about major steps forward to feeling like parents of healthy child!The whole feeding thing got off to a rough start. Lots of tubes to manuver, some air in Peyton's tummy. I wish we could communicate telepathicly with her to encourage her, to calm her, and to understand if she's in pain.

Heavenly Father,

Thank you for your grace. The day may come, probably when she's a teenager, when I question your call on this one, but you are the sovereign one. Those troubles will serve the same purpose as these, to show your handiwork in her life, in mine, in Rayna's, and in our friends and family.

Nevertheless, I want to give thanks...thanks for letting me hear her hoarse cries and her strange squeaks when she sleeps...for seeing her blue eyes open and respond to my voice...for the healing and repair of my daughter...for the multitudes of prayers and notes of encouragement from our friends and family.

May your glory be seen in her life, my life, and Rayna's,

Amen

12 comments:

  1. Congrats!!! Sweet Little Peyton is still in my prayers!!!!

    Alyson

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm home today and many times as I've walked by my computer, I've clicked on the blog to see if there's been an update. What a WONDERFUL thing to see when I refreshed the page; Rayna holding her beautiful little baby. This has been so emotional for me, as I miss my dear friend Sharon. What a blessing to see her beautiful granddaughter. Joan

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great news! Hope the nursing continues to go well, and I know Rayna must be ecstatic to finally hold her sweet baby girl. Still praying y'all on the road to recovery and beyond!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Precious Karl, Rayna, and Peyton, today is the first day of many 'family days' to come. Begin with praise and then ENJOY! We'll have our whole family dinners again soon, with Peyton included. Love always, Granddaddy and Grandmommy (Steve and Amy)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What JOY!!! Mom holding her daughter...thank you Lord for blessings beyond measure. To Him be all praise and honor and glory! Thanks be to God! Prayers for continued and complete healing for precious Peyton.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She has made so much progress since Monday...it is almost unbelievable that it was just 3 days ago that she was in surgery. We are so happy for you guys.

    What a great picture of Rayna and Peyton!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have chills of joy for you guys! Thanks for being so faithful with your updates! Praying...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rayna it is so sweet to see you holding your daughter. You are going to be an awesome Mom, how could you not, you had a great example.

    ReplyDelete
  9. YAHOOOOOOOO! I love this picture!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rayna, that is just the best picture. God is so Good. I am so happy for you that you are able to hold her and feed her. We continue to pray for Peyton's quick and complete recovery. Brian and Laura

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful!

    What joy in your face -

    The Lord has blessed you all and kept you and made his face shine upon you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. it takes some practice for her and mommy to learn to breast feed, practice a few times a day and she'll get it.

    ReplyDelete