Thursday, April 9, 2009

Day 4

Big day today. The strategy meeting went well. The doctor, Rayna, my dad (also a doctor), and I sat down to talk about what should happen with Peyton’s treatment after they take the pictures in tomorrow procedures. After reviewing my brother-in-law’s research, we determined that a miscommunication about the nature of her heart condition had occurred—most likely my fault. I’m not sure I could explain it much better at this hour, so forgive me for not attempting to do so. Besides, the pictures taken during the catheterization may completely change our understanding of what’s there. We discussed surgical options and what the cardio cutters had to say. We discussed the complexity and whether or not we needed to look at a larger facility like one in Houston.

In the end, we were all on board. So tomorrow after the pictures are taken, the doctor is going to attempt to close the connection using the catheter. Should he not be able to for whatever reason, we will setup a time for open heart surgery.

The procedure will start at 8am. Rayna and I plan to get there about before 6:30am before the PICU closes its doors to incoming traffic. The procedure should last somewhere around 3 to 4 hours. If you’d like to sit with us and keep us company during the procedure, we’ll be in the family waiting room just outside the PICU on the second floor probably a little before 8am. Dell Children’s Hospital

Thanks for the love, prayers, and support!

Karl

No comments:

Post a Comment