Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Day 10 - PM

Two steps forward, one step back.

While she's still breathing on her own, Peyton needs a little help. Her lungs are contracting too much, making it too hard to re-expand them. Subsequently, the doctors put her on a machine akin to ones used with people who have sleep apnea. It makes sure that there's a certain amount of air pressure in the lungs, keeping the lungs from contracting so far. It's not doing the breathing for her, just helping a little. They also have her on a little oxygen.
Peyton and I finished John today. I'm thinking she's ready for Romans, Leviticus, or Revelation.

In all seriousness, I don't know what we'll read next, but my hope is that by reading the scriptures to her, she'll be more familiar with them as she grows up, that they'll be a natural part of her reading diet, and honestly, that she associates the word of God with words of her earthly father. That may sound off or manipulative, but that's not my intent. Rather that the same love, wisdom, righteousness, forgiveness, truth, and grace found in scripture would also come from my mouth. It will certianly hold me to a higher standard to live out what we read together.
Before I wrap this up, I wanted to say thanks to folks bringing food. We got a real treat tonight. Thanks Drew!

7 comments:

  1. Little Peyton is very close to my heart...... My son Avery's journey and her journey are similar, although Avery did not need surgery (his duct closed when he was about 5 days old)...

    She is in my prayers!!!!

    God bless!

    Alyson

    http://wellensfamily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. My vote is for Romans - definitely my favorite book of the Bible! Does the lung contraction issue have anything to do with recovery from the heart surgery or is this separate?

    "Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us." Rom 5: 1-5

    We're praying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You all are in my prayers. May God continue to help you see his work in all this.

    Katie Caffrey Van Houten

    ReplyDelete
  4. After my mother gave me the heads up about Peyton, I made sure to contact some friends and have put you all on the Jesuit CP prayer list. We'll keep you in our thoughts and hopes.
    Catherine Clayton

    ReplyDelete
  5. fighter pilot Peyton with her pressurized "mask"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you considered reading her the psalms? I like to pray through the psalms.

    I'll be praying Psalm 3:3 for Peyton tonight, that our Lord will continue to be a shield around her.

    Lindsay Feldmeth

    ReplyDelete
  7. granbaby peyton Ann wilii be fine real soon. The LOrd put peace in my heart about this. Let's get her to mom and dad's house asap. Thanks Lord.

    Love Wayne

    ReplyDelete